ABC News
Friday, May 08, 2009

Rare Raccoon Roundworm Blinds NYC Teen in 1 Eye

Rare raccoon roundworm, transmitted through feces, blinds NY teen, leaves infant brain damaged


A rare disease transmitted through contact with raccoon feces has left a New York City teenager blind in one eye and an infant brain damaged.

The city's Department of Health warns parents to be on the alert for raccoon roundworm, which can cause nausea, nerve damage and even death. It says fewer than 30 cases have been reported in medical literature.

Health department spokeswoman Sally Slavinski says parents should supervise children to keep them from eating raccoon feces. Droppings should be picked up using gloves and disposable bags and put in the trash.

The worms lay eggs in the feces; they hatch after being ingested and travel through the body.

The teenager lost sight in one eye in January. The infant has been hospitalized since suffering seizures and spinal problems last October. They're from Brooklyn.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • 1
Next Story: U.S. Employers Shed Fewer Jobs but Unemployment Rate Jumps
Comment & Contribute

Do you have more information about this topic? If so, please click here to contact the editors of ABC News.

Watch Video
1 2 3 4 5
U.S. News

More men than women suffer job losses, boosting the number of breadwinner moms.

1 2 3 4
Top Stories
1 2 3 4 5
Click Here
ABC News Features
1 2